Prof. Baehr says: "Take the ten dependencies listed above in the supplemental content section and briefly assess each in terms of your single-sourcing project. You can quantify them using the dependencies calculator, if you like, or simply address each dependency with a short 1-2 sentence comment."
Due to unforeseen bureaucracy, my legacy document has changed. Please see details below in Product Stability.
1. Product stability. Amount of change a product is likely to undergo during the course of a project.
My legacy document has changed, from Planned Parenthood's HPV Curriculum to 2 legacy documents:
1) CDC public WebPages for HPV http://www.cdc.gov/std/hpv/default.htm and;
2) Planned Parenthood public Webpages for HPV
http://www.plannedparenthood.org/health-topics/stds-hiv-safer-sex/hpv-4272.htm?__utma=1.1304868645.1265032640.1265049748.1265056782.3&__utmb=1.21.10.1265056782&__utmc=1&__utmx=-&__utmz=1.1265056840.3.4.utmcsr=googleutmccn=(organic)utmcmd=organicutmctr=planned%20parenthood%20locations&__utmv=-&__utmk=26431677
Specific attention will be paid to male reproductive health information as it applies to HPV. These legacy documents are not likely to have substantial updates since the wheels of science turn slowly. However, I do monitor these Webpages weekly for updated information about HPV. Product stability dependency is low.
Update 5.16.11
My legacy documents have changed to the following:
Ten public websites funded by government or industry, or non-profits about Human Papillomaviraus (HPV) and men as listed in my ENGL 5387 XML Scipting Exercise;
All relevant science journal articles from November, 2008, through June, 2011, about HPV in males; and
"Genital Human Papillomavirus (HPV) and Men: A Mini-Survey and Discussion of Current Research Methods for Sampling and Identifying Subclinical HPV in Men", Melody Wainscott, Virology classroom term paper.
Five of the ten websites record dates of content update, three have content that needs updating over time but no record of dates of content update, and two are current articles reporting headline events about HPV and men. Product stability dependency is low.
2. Information availability. Accessibility of quality of information about the product(s).
The products are a website and scholarly text. The first I hope to create using XML script so I can practice developing my own categories for tags and hierarchies for information archiving. I understand examples from the book, so excellent information is available. The last (writing scholarly text) is available to a very high degree. Information availability dependency is low.
Update 5.17.11
Single-sourcing projects include an annotated bibliography created from my XML Scripting Exercise,, and an annotated bibliography of the science journal article legacy documents in my subject are published since November, 2008. This information is very available as is information on use of XML, the formatting fort the website annotated bibliography. Information availability dependenecy is low.
3. Prototype availability. Existence and quality of prototype under development.
Prototypes for the scholarly text are available; prototypes of websites with information developed in XML and repurposed into HTML are available. Prototype availability dependency is low.
Update 5.17.11
Prototypes for annotated bibliographies are very available on the Internet. Prototype availability dependency is low.
4. SME availability. Availability of SMEs during the course of the project.
I am the subject matter expert for the science of HPV and its role in disease; HPV testing; and HPV vaccination. I hold a B.S. in Biology and have completed a formal minor in Biology during the course of my MATC. Shan Bilimoria, virologist at TTU Department of Biological Sciences, is a member of my thesis committee and available for any science-base questions I need help answering when reading and summarizing science journal papers, although I have not needed his help in the past. I have written a scholarly paper about my subject for his graduate level course in virology and received a 99 on that paper, which included over 50 science journal articles from major scientific journals. SME availability dependency is low.
Update 5.17.11
No change.
Update 7.21.11
I will need to speak with Dr. B. about HPV in males when I finish reading all the scholarly papers I wish to read. He was completely supportive of the idea of testing males for HPV to prevent disease associated with HPV infection. However, my topic is daunting when considering that neither the CDC or the FDA or the scientists workingn with HPV in men advocate testing men for HPV. L. Koutsky, one of the creators of Gardasil wrote about the need to test males for HPV in some of her early work, but then she adopted the same spin as the CDC and FDA concerning why we shouldn't test men for HPV: it's ubiquitous, we don't have a standard procedure (they do; standardized procedures have to be in place before clinical HPV studies take place), or it's hard to test males (it's not; it's easier than testing females because cell sample collection is external in males)
5. Review experience. Quality and timeliness of reviews scheduled.
My experience is limited to performing DoD toxicology studies and following EPA guidelines for schedules. I learned that no matter how generous I was, it always took 3 times longer to complete projects than I predicted. My process documenting how long projects of the sort we are doing for ENGL 5387 is limited and in all honesty is most likely a high level dependency; this will result in late night work sessions to complete this class. Review experience dependency is high.
Update 5.17.11
In the last year I have had more work projects with deadlines and have improved in my ability to predict how long a project will take; however, I still view review experience dependency high for me.
Update 7.21.11
It's the night before I present and I'm working on my presentation. All projects are very recently finished. Review experience dependency is high.
6. Technical experience. Degree of technical knowledge about the product(s).
Plan A: My goal is to learn XML to create a website that compares content from both websites about HPV in both men and women and testing/control for HPV in men. I will use a minimalistic approach for this website, which I plan to use for presentation of this content (rather than powerpoint only) during my thesis defense.
Plan B: If I am not able to use XML in the creation of this website, I’ll use the technology I already understand and use at work, which is a Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 single-sourcing database, with upfront content publishing, in the TTU master template.
My technical experience dependency is low only because of my plan B safety net. To complete this project, and in order to work, the safety net requires I realize when it is time to move on.
Updated 5.17.11
My degree of knowledge about annotated bibliographies is moderate and growing; my level of knowledge about XML is increasing, but is rudimentary, making this technical experience dependency high. My overall techical experience dependency is moderate to high.
7. Writing and design experience. Degree of writing and design skill.
I have a lot of writing and some design experience. My writing dependency is low; my design dependency is moderate.
Update 5.17.11
No change
8. Audience understanding. Extent to which user requirements are known and understood.
My audience is ultimately my thesis committee, an interdisciplinary team of two professors of Technical Communications and one professor of Biology, specifically virology. It is necessary for me to bridge Humanities and Sciences for both audiences, something I have had to learn to learn to do myself while moving between the disciplines of biological sciences and technical communications. My audience understanding dependency is low.
Update 5.17.11
No change
9. Team experience. Expertise individuals have in working on collaborative teams.
I work well with most teams. This class project may require that I discuss technical aspects of our ttu websites and online databases with my technology team members so that everyone understands the position the new thesis model, which will eventually be developed from this project, has in our database libraries and wikis. My team experience dependency is low.
Update 5.17.11
No change
10. Tools experience. Expertise with specific tools and technologies used to produce the product(s).
I am not an expert with XML or writing code or script. A metaphor for my level of expertise is that of a natural historian who can’t yet do the molecular biology proficiently. It is not necessary in my present job description to be able to write much code. The truth is that not being proficient in this area is a handicap in my job that requires me to have the big picture, a job that would be a lot more efficient if I could write the molecular code as well. My tools experience dependency is high.
Update 5.17.11
My tools experience dependency is moderate to high.
Both my tools experience (XML) and my ability to accurately predict how long each process of production of the deliverables for this class have the highest degrees of dependency.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment