Sunday, January 24, 2010

ENGLISH 5387 Publications Management Spring 2010, Progress Report 1.18.10

Professor Craig Baehr asks, "What potential topics are you considering for your single-sourcing project? List at least two alternatives. Address the pros and cons of each. "

Update 5/16/11
My topic remains the same, human papillomavirus (HPV) and men, although I have updated my legacy document selection and my projects. Updated information is further up the timeline of this blogged progress report.

This is my last class, and truthfully, the only thing on my mind is finishing my thesis so I can graduate. I have one large document left to analyze, “Planned Parenthood 2009 Curriculum Development Project: Managing HPV, A New Era in Sexual Health”. This is my first choice in a legacy document. The topic is Human Papillomavirus (HPV).

My thesis concerns HPV, all the different types of cancers it is known to cause, the lack of medical diagnosis for males, and the social implications of not being able to know if your male partner is infected with a ubiquitous disease that condoms don’t protect against . Looking through the lens of medical diagnosis in males, I have: 1) analyzed extensive science literature in the classroom and under the tutelage of Shan Bilimoria, virologist, TTU Dept. of Biological Sciences (thesis committee member), about techniques for testing for HPV in males for natural history studies currently underway in research labs; and 2) analyzed the CDC website for its position on diagnosis of STIs (sexually transmitted infection, the “new” STD) and its conflicting position on medical diagnosis of HPV in males.

The last document I want to analyze, during this class, is the curriculum Planned Parenthood just released in 2009 for Planned Parenthood endorsed methods in education of the medical community, parents and students grades K-12 about HPV. I need to understand it thoroughly to make informed comparisons with text from the rest of my thesis, and I can’t think of a better way to do this than in this class.

The pros for this are obvious; I can break down my writer’s block and finish my thesis by digging into this last fat document and writing about it, creating two other works from it, including WebPages, so I will really know the subject matter well.

The next pro will apply to any project I choose. Because my full-time job at TTU is research oriented, any work I do on my thesis or any class project can be housed on our server, using our single-sourcing database in CISERs SharePoint network. Not only will this system support me in getting my work done as a student, but I also get the added benefit of exploring our system at work in new ways while I work on my projects. This means I will be able to see where to apply what I learn in this class to our experimental system at work, and I’m excited about this because of past success with this method in other classes I’ve taken.

The only con for this idea is that the legacy document is 76 pages, but the pages are text light, with very basic information.

My second choice in topics is Microsoft SharePoint. Although I don’t have a specific legacy document in mind, I would choose a document(s) that would help individuals in the Technology Scholar Program I coordinate to better understand one of the specific upgrades of the system we are presently considering. The pros are learning more about SharePoint and best practices in SharePoint as they relate to our system and sharing these with workers; the cons are that I will be even more anxious about my thesis.

~Melody

No comments:

Post a Comment