Dr. Baehr says:
"Identify two unique user groups for your single-sourcing project (one different group for each deliverable). Describe the demographics, user needs, information requirements, technical background and other characteristics of these groups. Explain how they will impact your design and delivery of each product."
Update 5.17.11
The unique user groups for both annotated bibliographies, one a summary of websites, and one a summary of science journal articles, are myself and my thesis committee. I use the information first to ultimately develop a thesis and presentation for my thesis committe to review.
"My interdisciplinary thesis committee members are faculty from Technical Communications (Amy Koerber and Ken Baake) and from Biology (Shan Bilimoria, virologist). This committee is a true representation of my thesis, which bridges sciences with humanities, and members need a bridging language to help them learn each other’s disciplines fast. I have already been working with these faculty members developing this bridging language. I have had good success explaining the complex science of HPV virology to both TC thesis committee members during the course of my class work, and much less success explaining Foucault to my biologist committee member! However, being a humanist, my biologist committee member is very interested in this project, and very interested in learning how to communicate better with members of the humanities. He requires a minimalistic approach that explains much, using technical communication lay language that is crystal clear, and he requires that I draw conclusions about my work, including the conclusion that diagnostic testing for males for HPV should be available now. My TC members require use of science lay language that is crystal clear, and that I perform comprehensive text comparisons and analysis. This may become a serious dependency for me if I am running behind schedule, perhaps even more so than the technology."
Overall, project 1 and 2 will endeavor to create an interdisciplinary language of biology plus technical comparison of text suitable for an educated public.
Both of my single sourcing projects for ENGL 5387 are for my thesis committee members. Ultimately the thesis model I will develop, which extends beyond but includes my entire portfolio for this class in Windows SharePoint Services 3.0, will be for TTU/HHMI students, using the TTU/HHMI CISER Community Network Portal. This student research content will also be repurposed as faculty development.
Project 1 will be a web-based, hopefully XML, comparison of the two legacy documents, including CDC (government) and Planned Parenthood (FPO) public education websites for content about Human papillomavirus (HPV) in humans, specifically in men. I will use this newly created web-based project as part of my presentation during my thesis defense.
Project 2 will use the same legacy documents to produce scholarly text for my thesis, comparing the content of the documents as they apply to human health, specifically focusing on men’s role in HPV and sexual health.
Project 1, expanded to include the entire thesis model for TTU/HHMI students, will most need to be flexible, capable of handling the simplest to the most adept user. TTU/HHMI students are predominantly biologists. I’ve worked with these students since 1992…actually, I was one of them. I’ve worked with several biology faculty at TTU for the same length of time. And although I have not officially surveyed these student and faculty populations, it is my experience that they seem to like the barebones information architecture known as the “tree view”, perhaps because of its similarity to the clade. Students will most likely be more interested in the behind the scenes single-sourcing document, photo, and wiki libraries they’ll be able to build in the thesis project rather than in flashy, upfront content. Upfront content will need to be minimal and manageable to suit a high percentage of these student users who don't care what it looks like as long as the architecture makes sense. However, these students can have a wide range of technical expertise; that suits this thesis model where every dull TTU template page can be modified in Windows SharePoint Designer to produce fun pages like this one, even if the left menu is B-O-R-I-N-G…at least it is very familiar to the TTU students who will be using it. That’s worth something. The model will also make templates available for students who choose tree views or other simple designs that allow for total control of information architecture, with no bells or whistles.
However, Project 1 is really for my thesis committee. Many of the remarks I will address in the following paragraph about the faculty users of Project 2, creating scholarly text for my thesis, apply to faculty users of Project 1, the web-based project.
Project 2 is production of scholarly text for my thesis. My interdisciplinary thesis committee members are faculty from Technical Communications (Amy Koerber and Ken Baake) and from Biology (Shan Bilimoria, virologist). This committee is a true representation of my thesis, which bridges sciences with humanities, and members need a bridging language to help them learn each other’s disciplines fast. I have already been working with these faculty members developing this bridging language. I have had good success explaining the complex science of HPV virology to both TC thesis committee members during the course of my class work, and much less success explaining Foucault to my biologist committee member! However, being a humanist, my biologist committee member is very interested in this project, and very interested in learning how to communicate better with members of the humanities. He requires a minimalistic approach that explains much, using technical communication lay language that is crystal clear, and he requires that I draw conclusions about my work, including the conclusion that diagnostic testing for males for HPV should be available now. My TC members require use of science lay language that is crystal clear, and that I perform comprehensive text comparisons and analysis. This may become a serious dependency for me if I am running behind schedule, perhaps even more so than the technology.
Overall, project 1 and 2 will endeavor to create an interdisciplinary language of biology plus technical comparison of text suitable for an educated public.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment