Sunday, March 15, 2009

Melody's Website/Podcast

I've got them together on my hompage at: http://www.ciser.ttu.edu/hhmi/alumni/featured.aspx

I’ve made most of the webpage edits Dr. Rice and my peers have suggested, although I'm not done yet, and I’ve linked the podcast to my “click and explore” image on my Featured Alumni Scholar Homepage.

What do you think about the instructive text under the image? I might use a different font for the "Welcome", but I am limited to the font recs for TTU Identity Guidelines. I've already spent a semester studying each TTU identity guidelines and have them included in my research on the website.

The big news: The nsf is advocating blogs and podcasts to get improved communication from the scientists to the public faster…they did this in a podcast with major players in the world of science, journalism, and economics. And HHMI, the national headquarters, is featuring a poster on the importance of podcasting among scientists.

And about that navigation on the website. To get back to my page with the "explore and click image" use the left menu bar and click on Featured Alumni Scholar.

Thanks for your comments!

Melody

3 comments:

  1. Melody! Your new blog skin is bright and cheerful! Very earthy!

    I watched your podcast. WOW! You've been busy! I enjoyed the podcast because I got to "see" you and I learned a lot about your job.

    I would suggest two changes: to standardize your sounds and to divide the information into information about CISER and information about you.

    The piano music at the beginning is pleasant even academic, but the sounds at the end are very different and even a little silly. Use the same quality of sound to frame your podcast.

    The presentation jumped between both topics without well-defined boundaries. Of course, you can justify that you are creating the CISER information, so that's relevant to your information, but I'm not sure if the podcast is about you or about CISER.

    Otherwise, the colors and quality are well done, and I like that you integrated interviews from Jason into your podcast. :-)

    Have a good spring break! Hope you are having some fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melody,

    I'm not sure where to post about your podcast, so I'll do it here. I really commend you on the efforts to incorporate video into the piece. That raises the difficulty dramatically. You did a nice job of alternating A roll and B roll and still images, and it was helpful to actually see the environment (maybe not so much of people sitting in front of computers), instead of just hearing about it. Interviews with key players also are helpful. You might be able to jam even more information in there, or supplement what you say, with more text overlays, particularly in the parts where you are just talking directly to the camera. Very solid effort, though, and pushing this kind of information into the video realm really can bring it to life.

    - Brett

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carie: It's hard to divide CISER from me since our evolution has occured together since 1992. They call me the poster grandmother.

    The sound comes from my Sony camera, edited in Sony Vegas. Although I can't normalize/standardize the sound, the quality is much better than Audacity or any free audio editor that might standardize it (Rice). I have tried to tone down a couple of the places where the sound just jumps out at you.

    Next time I video, I'll be sure the camera is always the same distance away from the interviewee, and I'll write a more complete script at the start. This one was written in starts and fits.

    Brett, this Article "Melody's Website/Podcast" is the right place to comment.

    Script across the bottom of screens while I'm being a talking head :) That's a good idea.

    And now, the big thing I missed; I saw it glaring at me yesterday. This whole thing should be "Featured Alumnus Scholar", not "Featured Alumni Scholar".

    This mistake is going to take some time to correct :(

    Thanks for your comments!

    ReplyDelete