Tuesday, May 24, 2011

ENGL 5387 Progress Report 7.18.11 (5.23.11) (3.29.10)

Dr. Baehr says, "Revisit your earlier assessment (progress posting) of project dependencies for your project. How have these changed and why? What were your top three concerns then and now (have they changed at all)? What strategies are your using to address them?"

My previous assessment of project dependencies is, "My dependencies are still the same: my level of expertise using XML, novice, creates my highest dependency for technology application. Other dependencies are time and maintaining a schedule that is mostly focused on finishing this class every day. My dependency for remaining focused on the project can be moderate to high at times."

My three top concerns and top four strategies used to address them are:

1) My level of expertise using XML, CSS, and DTD is limited.  My strategy to address this dependency is to spend the next 3 days working on nothing but this technology. I have found that the best way for me to learn new information is to become singularly focused on the topic I am trying to learn for several days. This dependency remains a high dependency today, but I expect the dependency to be greatly reduced by the end of this week.

2) The amount of time I have each day to work on this class is limited to morning hours, my most productive time of day. This is a dependency because sometimes my time is necessarily interrupted by the need to "put out fires" at my job. Although I have been granted a flexible schedule for completion of this class, emergencies with our information system can take place anytime, and I have to deal with them. This dependency remains a moderate to high dependency. My strategy to address this dependency is to get up very early in the morning, before 8 a.m., to work on this class so I have at least 2 hours of uninterrupted time.

3) Maintaining my focus on this class is a dependency due to interruption of my studies by work emergencies. Dealing with emergencies and then going back to work on my class takes no little amount of effort, so this remains a moderate to high dependency. My strategy to address this dependency is the same one I use in 2) above.

4) Another strategy I employ to deal with dependencies 2 and 3 is to turn off my Outlook while working. I can be sure that if there is an emergency, I will be called via phone. Leaving my Outlook on while working is distracting; turning it off has helped a great deal to increase my time for working on these projects and maintain my focus.

July 18, 2011

Currently my top 3 concerns are:

lack of expertise in XML, lack of time, and lack of help at work to deal with emergencies. With little time and having not completed the XML single-sourcing project, my strategy is to use work time,if needed, over the next couple of days to finish this project. I can do this as long as there aren't other work issues that need to be addressed. Because I am a single-member team at work, and because I am IT, any schedule I have can be destroyed in a moment when there are issues with our websites, databases, or if a director needs me to edit documents immediately. I am in the middle of another security breech right now, so IT Security may decide I have other things to do any day this week, 8-5. If that happens, my strategy will be to stay up late working on finishing this class.

July 19, 2011

Today I was unsuccessful in my attempt to use XML/CSS and XML/XSLT to format my annotated bibliographical references for my Web-based project (annotated bibliography of twelve webpages about HPV and males) in my chosen APA style; the hanging indention and placement of commas were beyond my skills. Because of the time crunch, I opted to create this project in a SharePont wiki page attached to the TTU Master Template. The URL for this project is:  http://www.ciser.ttu.edu/hhmi/thesismodel/engl5387/ssprojectformatweb.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment